2008 ASAPS Cosmetic Surgery Statistics
Each year the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) collects statistics from cosmetic surgeons nationwide as to how many of the various procedures have been done. They then analyze and tabulate them and put them up on their website.
The statistics for 2008 show an interesting switch between breast augmentation and liposuction. Previously, liposuction was the most popular cosmetic procedure but is now taking second place to breast augmentation. In 2008, there were:
- 355,671 breast augmentation procedures, down 11 percent from 2007
- 341,144 liposuction procedures, down 25 percent from 2007
They both went down compared to 2007, as did many other procedures although not all. Overall, cosmetic surgeries sank by 12 percent over 2007 and the ASAPS President, Alan Gold, MD, considers that the slumping economy is the reason. He expects that when the economy improves there will be a spike in cosmetic surgeries, as people get the surgeries done that they previously delayed.
He also stated that with the slumping economy, some older workers must stay on the job for longer, competing with younger workers. They therefore want to look younger to compensate for the widespread ageism bias.
The other three cosmetic surgeries in the Top Five were:
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty), down 19 percent
- Nose surgery (rhinoplasty), at about the same number as in 2007; and
- Tummy tucks (abdominoplasty), down 20 percent
Top Non-Surgical Cosmetic Procedures
BOTOX® tops this list, as it always does, although it was down 11 percent from 2007. The others were:
- Laser hair removal, down 9 percent
- Dermal fillers using hyaluronic acid (Restylane and others), down 13 percent
- Chemical peels, up by three percent
- Laser skin resurfacing, up 12 percent
At The Cosmetic Surgical Center in Dallas, Texas we offer many financing options and we also work with CareCredit, a financing company which gives low- or no-interest loans and many choices as to payments and timeframes.
Please call or email cosmetic surgeon Dr. Rai if you would like to schedule a free consultation.