How to Avoid Plastic Surgery Remorse
Actress Heidi Montag made major headlines in the tabloids as well as serious news outlets earlier this year when she underwent ten plastic surgery procedures in one day. The list included revision of previous breast augmentation (to go to larger breast implants) and nose job, as well as liposuction in several places, fat injection in others, buttock augmentation, and others. Shortly after her procedure, she talked about wanting to get her breast implants replaced with even larger implants. Now, though, she talks about feeling trapped inside her body because the breast implants she had thought were too small are now too large.
Like any type of purchase or life change, some people experience remorse after plastic surgery. Here are some steps to take to help you avoid being one of them:
- Don’t count on plastic surgery to change your life. Many people do experience professional, personal, and psychological benefits from plastic surgery, but this cannot be guaranteed, and plastic surgery should never be sought for this reason.
- Identify the specific aspects of your appearance you want addressed and develop realistic goals.
- Celebrate the aspects of your appearance that you like and want to maintain. Work with a doctor whose goal is to create a harmonious postsurgical appearance between operated and non-operated features.
- Be open with family and friends about your planned surgery. Whenever possible, get support from the people whose opinions matter to you.
- Think of surgery not as creating a “new you,” but more like bringing your body in harmony with your self-image.
Properly done, plastic surgery can improve your overall quality of life. It can help you to feel more comfortable and confident in yourself and your personal relationships. But if improperly pursued, it can accentuate problems rather than solving them.
During your consultation, Dallas plastic surgeon Dr. Vasdev Rai will talk to you about all the aspects of your plastic surgery, including psychological benefits and challenges. The goal is to help you decide if plastic surgery is right for you before you have surgery so you can avoid the risk of plastic surgery remorse. To talk to him about potential surgery, please call or email us today.
Dr. Vasdev Rai
Dr. Vasdev Rai has performed more than 25,000 cosmetic surgeries over his more than 30 years in practice as a Dallas plastic surgeon. He is a board-certified plastic surgeon who was first certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery in 1983. Learn More...
Dr. Surjit Rai
Dr. Surjit Rai was born and raised in Plano, Texas. Being the son of a plastic surgeon, Dr. Rai had the unique opportunity to see first-hand the impact a plastic surgeon can have. He knew at a young age that he would dedicate his life and academic career towards the goal of becoming a plastic surgeon. Learn More...